Let it

Believe everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it.”
Harvey MacKay

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Itching


So close. So close.
I've been attending physical therapy faithfully 3 times a week. Brian initially told me we'd have about 1 hour sessions, but they quickly drew out to 1 1/2 and then to 2 hour sessions as we added workouts and got carried away with various challenge games. 2 hours, 3 times a week.
Only about 15 minutes of that consists of massage and manual joint mobilization. The rest is work.
I honestly don't know if I've ever worked out so hard. Spinning, heavy shuttle squats, stretches, balance regimens, resistance bands, throwing around weighted balls, plyometric work, isolations and full body movements. Crossfit type HIIT sessions have come close, but I never dreamed I'd be working this hard to get my health back. And I LOVE it.
I revel in the challenge, the relationships I've gained in the clinic, the environment of people working together to overcome unenviable circumstances. It honestly has me researching PT schooling.
I get a thrill every time a slip into my Altra Superiors again and move.
The Alter G treadmill is the key right now.
These ravishing shorts zip in to complete the pressurized chamber around the legs.

This ingenious machine lets me run at a fraction of my bodyweight with proper form and without compromising my gait. I progressed quickly from 70% to 75, 80, 85 and 90%. That's where I am now. 90%. I've even been able to use this progression to speed train my legs to move faster than they were previously accustomed to. I may just come out of this stronger and better than I started. Brian looked me in the eye the other day and said, "Now is when you want to jump the gun and take off. That's exactly what you shouldn't do." Gah! I know he's right!
I am so grateful to be moving again. Every time I put my running shoes on, it's like reuniting with old friends. But we need dirt, my friends and I. I am outright itching to get out on the trails again.
Hiking with my littles. Ary stole Saia's Altras.
 I've done a few small, easy hikes and just soaked it all in, but it just makes me crave more! My heart lives there!! I want to be were people are scarce and nature is abundant! To feel wild and primal! To be so close, and not get to let loose is just a little bit maddening. I have to step back and remember how grateful I am to be where I am. To get to dream about races I might actually get to sign up for and run again! I am so grateful!! I can wait. I can do this. It is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment